The way it works is I have a bunch of Markdown that gets processed by Hexo and synced to an S3 bucket. This is a process that was ostensibly made mainstream by Jekyll but is now supported by a lot of different tools in the same genre.
I started awhile back with Awestruct but could never get the Ruby dependencies worked out.
Then I took a look at Jekyll since it is by most measures the most popular static site generator. What I dislike about Jekyll is that the tool and the theme are coupled in a way that seems like it’ll make upgrading one or the other in the future difficult.
Pelican looked pretty good and I got something reasonable out of it but there are just too few themes from which to choose. None called to me. I did find a nice one but found it cumbersome to customize.
Frustrated, I returned to this directory of tools and noticed Hexo which I don’t recall having seen before. It’s Node-based because everything these days is but I gave it a shot anyway. The themes are nicely separated from the tool and the site content and it was reasonably easy to get going. So, here we are.
I have not yet worked out the mismatch between the line breaks in the source Markdown and how they render in HTML…